Thursday, May 10, 2007

Here's something I don't much like at all. Seems that a gentleman named Bernie Ecclestone runs this thing called Formula One which puts on car races. I have no interest in car races, which aren't nearly as cool as pro football or even Communist kickball (oops, I mean soccer). However, this appears to be a big deal, and Mr. Ecclestone's car race company holds one every year here in Catalonia at the Montmeló racetrack. Everyone in Catalonia is very proud, because car and motorcycle racing are very big here, as they are in most provincial and backward places. (Send hate mail to the Comments section.)

Now Mr. Ecclestone has promised the Valencia regional government that he will put on a big old car race in Valencia. Not on a real racetrack, but on a course through the streets of the city, which I have read that race drivers really hate. All the Valencia regional government has to do is pay Mr. Ecclestone €35 million.

And get this. Mr. Ecclestone says the offer to take the Valencia regional government's money is only good if the PP candidate, current regional premier Francisco Camps, is reelected. If he loses, then Mr. Ecclestone says he'll have his car race somewhere else.

Gee, I don't know, I'd vote for the PP in sixteen out of the seventeen Spanish regions, but in Valencia I'd be tempted to vote for, say, the Gypsy Nationalists or that wacko cult that calls itself the Humanist Party instead of Mr. Francisco Camps, just in order to inform him and Mr. Ecclestone that they ain't such hot shit after all.

And, by the way, I don't think the Valencia government has any business spending €35 million of the taxpayers' money on a car race. I know it's comparatively a drop in the bucket, but I still don't like it.

No comments: