Friday, February 11, 2005

Arthur Miller is dead. Well, every man's death diminishes me, but I always thought he was overrated, at least since about the time I was 19. I remember we read Death of a Salesman and The Crucible in ninth-grade English class, and, frankly, Arthur Miller operated on about a ninth-grade mentality. There's just no comparison between him and the real American dramatist of the 1950s, Tennessee Williams.

He did nail Marilyn Monroe. On the other hand, I have always thought Marilyn was way, way overrated as a sex symbol. I just don't get the whole Marilyn thing, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly a gay camp deal. She wasn't at all bad as a comedy actress, though, and she was great in the Misfits. I guess it would be cool to go around saying you'd nailed the same broad as JFK, but then on the other hand, what with all the broads JFK nailed, probably a lot of guys could say that, and from what I've read about Marilyn, she got around too. In my opinion the coolest guy to nail Marilyn was undoubtedly Joe D.

No comments: