Friday, March 21, 2003

Well, I went on TV last night. We didn't go on until after 1 AM. There was a fifteen-minute debate segment which, I must say, was reasonably serious--they got all the clowns off the stage before the debate and it was the host, Xavier Sardà, who was perfectly nice and a gentleman, me, some guy who wasn't anti-war who was pretty cool, and this guy named Javier Nart, who was my designated enemy. Nart didn't bother to argue much, he mainly insulted the United States and called me ignorant. I think I did pretty well, though I wasn't exactly prepared for what was going to get thrown at me--instead of going for the cheap populist arguments all the time, Nart tried to confuse me by attacking subpoints of what I was trying to say, and he did pretty well at that. I had plenty of facts on my side. I thought the crowd was going to be totally against me, but they weren't; Nart only got two sustained rounds of applause off them. Sardà bent over backwards to give me a chance to talk and shut Nart up a couple of times. I had a couple of quotations from Iraqi exiles prepared that I was going to read, but I forgot to. Anyway, I thought it went all right in general. I didn't make a fool of myself, anyway, and got a few good points in. I wonder how many people saw it.

In case you want to see a tiny photograph of me in action, click here for the Crónicas marcianas home page. It's the third or fourth little section down; I'm the guy on the left with glasses, a beard, and a black shirt pointing with my top two fingers. Better look now because they'll probably take this off the Net pretty soon. The other guy with the white hair is Javier Nart. If you click on the little headline there's another tiny photo of me and the third guy, along with some commentaries made by the viewers; at least some of them agreed with me and one of them takes Nart to task for not letting me talk.

No comments: